StoreLog is a FREEWARE that imports the full content of Exchange message tracking logs from all versions of Exchange into an SQL or an Access database. It allows you to retrieve message tracking logs from Office 365 so that you can, in a simple way, retain these logs for an indefinite period of time and analyze data in the long run.
What does it do?
PROMODAG StoreLog v.4 is a freeware that imports the full content of Exchange message tracking logs from all versions of Exchange into an SQL or an Access database. Once imported, data no longer needs to be read back from the server. Users can then use any SQL query tool or the Access GUI to create simple or more complex queries. For example, you may search for specific messages or even estimate e-mail traffic volume for a particular address.
Retrieve message tracking logs from Office 365
StoreLog easily allows you to retrieve message tracking logs from Office 365 so that users can, in a simple way, retain these logs for an indefinite period of time and analyze data over longer periods.
- Query Office 365 to retrieve the information previously logged into Message Tracking Logs
- Generate local daily files containing all message tracking events recorded in chronological order
- Archive generated Message Tracking Logs for further processing, or import them into a StoreLog database
More details about the benefits of using StoreLog to retrieve message tracking logs from Office 365.
Processed Exchange message tracking logs are referenced in a database with useful information
- Sites and servers from where the message tracking logs originated
- Size of the files sites
- Number of events
Provides a graphical interface
- The database can easily be managed using the StoreLog interface: import, delete imports, etc. using menus and dialog boxes
- The StoreLog interface provides a simple way to look at the traffic of your Exchange server
- With PROMODAG StoreLog, querying your database is an easy task
- The information retrieved from message tracking logs becomes useful and useable
How much does it cost?
- Nothing, it's freeware!
How can I get it?
- Get it from here.
- Support for Office 365. This includes the possibility to retrieve and store message tracking logs for a non-negotiable period of time.
- Supports of Exchange 2016.
- Support of Windows 10.
- Support of the Microsoft SQL Server database.
- Supports Microsoft .Net Framework 4 SP1.
- Global rewriting of all messages appears in the user Interface.
Benefits of retrieving Office 365 message tracking logs
All on-premises Exchange administrators know it: Message Tracking Logs are the source to use when it comes to analyzing email traffic for reporting or for forensic search.
Message Tracking Log files contain email details, such as messages that travel between servers within the Exchange Organization.
Unfortunately, those Message Tracking Logs are no longer available with Office 365 and you need to use the Get-MessageTrace PowerShell command to retrieve information about messages.
What is even more problematic is that Office 365 only keeps this information for a maximum of 30 days. If you forget to retrieve it, it is gone forever.
This is where StoreLog comes to the rescue. It will let you retrieve message tracking logs from Office 365 so that you can easily archive these logs indefinitely and analyze the data at a time of your choice.
Benefits of StoreLog over the Get-MessageTrace PowerShell command
You can of course use the Get-MessageTrace PowerShell command to retrieve message tracking information, but this has some drawbacks:
- The maximum number of messages you can retrieve with a single command is 5,000. Thus is why you will need to issue successive commands with different parameters until you get them all. This is cumbersome and error prone.
- The retrieved events will be ordered in anti-chronological order: the first message of the day comes to the last line of the last file. Not very convenient!
StoreLog circumvents these drawbacks and features a graphical interface that lets you retrieve messages by date range. Then it generates daily message tracking logs with the following benefits:
- StoreLog is and will remain compatible with Office 365, as it uses the Get-MessageTrace PowerShell command.
- The format of generated Message Tracking Logs is similar to those of on-premise versions of Exchange, so it will remain familiar to you.
- Tracking events are sorted in chronological order, which makes them way easier to read than native logs.
- One single log file is generated per day: no need to scan multiple files to find that particular message.
- Last but not least it is free...
What to do with those Message Tracking Logs
Once you have Message Tracking Log files at hand on your hard drive, you can:
- Archive them for further processing.
- Open them in a text editor to search for a particular subject or recipient.
- Import them using StoreLog in an Access or SQL server database, and then use standard SQL queries to produce simple reports.
- • Import them using version 10 of Promodag Reports, which supports Office 365.
- A Core i3 Intel Processor with 2 GB of RAM or an equivalent Virtual Machine.
- Sufficient disk space to store the database. The physical size limit set by Microsoft to Access database files is 2 GB (2,048 MB).
- StoreLog supports Window Vista/Windows 2008 to Windows 10/ Windows 2012 R2 (32 or 64-bit).