Reports for Exchange
- Support of Office 365, hybrid and on-premises environments
- More than 80 report templates in total with multiple options.
- Traffic and content reports down to the message level.
- Call-Center reports with response time and action analysis.
- Information store size reports.
- Outlook Web Access and ActiveSync reports.
- Easy to install and configure, a standard workstation is all you need.
- Supports all versions of Exchange server including Office 365.
Promodag Reports for Exchange Overview
Simply put, PROMODAG Reports for Exchange provides you with control of your Exchange-based messaging systems. Its comprehensive and versatile range of traffic analysis, message tracking and planning tools simplify and automate the process of managing email usage, ensuring compliance and optimizing the performance of mission-critical email systems.
Get Control and Ensure Compliance
- Check compliance with organizational policies.
- Find out how, when and by whom the system is used or misused.
- Mailbox traffic reports let you see in detail who your users are corresponding with, and the kind of messages they exchange. Mailboxes can be grouped by Active Directory attributes such as server, department, manager, permissions, response times, etc.
- Outlook Web Access reports show who is using web mail and when.
Plan For and Avoid Unnecessary Upgrades
- Plan development based on a reliable understanding of electronic mail usage and needs.
- Optimize system configuration and design in response to changing traffic patterns.
- Storage reports show you how your storage capacity is used and how it changes over time including public folders analysis.
- Mailbox content analysis reports reveal what users are storing in their mailbox, e.g. attachments. You can group items by age to point out what could be archived.
- Public folders reports let you get a clear picture of who uses them, when and for what purpose including replica analysis.
- Traffic statistics reports produce graphs showing traffic breakdown by days, hours, size of messages or number of recipients.
- Server traffic reports display the type of traffic processed by servers.
Manage Your E-Mail Systems and Report on SLAs
- Set up reports that illustrate your Service Level Agreement criteria.
- Monitor email response times and agent actions.
- Delivery reports calculate internal message delivery times.
Chargeback, Billing and More
- Chargeback system usage based on email traffic or storage size.
- Billing reports allow chargeback based on mailbox storage size or message traffic for mailboxes grouped by server, department, etc...
Adapt to Meet Your Exchange Server Reporting Requirements
- Reports are in tabular or graphical format with a range of useful configuration options to suit specific information requirements.
- Reports can be exported to different formats: HTML, PDF, XLS, CSV, RTF, MHT.
- Reports can be sent by email, published in a public folder, a Web site or to a SharePoint document library.
- Individual mailbox reports can be automatically sent to the user or manager.
- Reports options can be saved for instant access using the Favorites menu.
- Mailboxes can be selected based on various Active Directory attributes (server, OU, department...).
- The reporting period can be restricted to specific days or business hours.
- Data collection, report generation, export and publication can be automated and scheduled.
- The data repository can be an Access or SQL Server database.
How does it work
PROMODAG Reports for Exchange Server installs in minutes and is quick to configure. The product uses native Exchange server data sources so there is absolutely nothing to install on the server. Administrators can choose from over 80 ready-made reports and publish them to various destinations in different formats. All operations can be easily automated and scheduled so you can set up the product and forget about it.
International language support
The product is available in English, German and French. Reports can also be generated in Spanish, Italian, Dutch and Portuguese. Software requirements.
PROMODAG Reports for Exchange Server is licensed per analyzed Exchange server. It is available in three editions to meet the needs of all Exchange Server organizations. See which one best fits your configuration.
What's new in version 10
Promodag Reports v.10 is now available with the long-awaited support for Office 365 (Exchange Online) fully implemented. It remains compatible with all other existing on-premises versions of Microsoft Exchange Server.
- Possibility to add a company logo to reports.
- Possibility to export reports data into a foreign SQL database.
- Possibility to export reports to SharePoint 365.
- Support of Office 365, hybrid and on-premise environments.
- A new report engine: nicer graphs and better looking layouts.
- A revamped interface.
- A new dashboard has been placed in the main windows to provide a high-level overview of mailbox traffic and storage.
- Storage size reports are now based on imported data. This improvement significantly speeds up the generation of reports in large organizations and Office 365 environments
- Hourly imports of IIS log files.
- Added support for Excel 2007 format and exporting to a database table.
- Message tracking data import performance has been significantly improved.
- Office 365 recipients are now linked to on-premises users in Hybrid environments. Migrated mailboxes are identified and taken into account.
- Recipient types, such as User, Equipment or Shared mailboxes are more precisely identified and described.
New and Significantly Enhanced Reports
- Recipient Mobile Devices: lists mobile devices linked to recipients.
- Calendar Item Search: produces, from a selection of Meeting rooms or User mailboxes, a detailed list of appointments and meetings created in Microsoft Outlook. Includes the ability to calculate occupancy rates on meeting rooms taking account of business hours.
- Public Folders Storage Information: displays the size growth of public folders across a given time interval (days, weeks, months...).
- Database Size Growth: The report now displays the growth of both EDB and Exchange transaction log files across a given interval; it includes a trendline.
- Database Size Comparison: The report now displays pie charts comparing the average sizes of Exchange databases side-by-side.
- Message Attachments: The report now also displays message subject lines above the attachments list.
Many Other Report Improvements
- All reports of the Traffic Statistics and Mailbox Traffic categories offer the possibility to select multiple recipient types, that is Public folders, Contacts and Distribution groups, and not only mailboxes.
- The layout of reports has been redesigned with new graphical layouts.
- The filtering options in reports have been entirely redesigned to allow for enhanced flexibility.
- DAGs are now taken into account in reports: it is possible to select and group recipients by DAG.
- It is now possible to choose between a curve and a histogram for most graphical reports showing a trend, for example OWA Usage Growth and Server Traffic Growth.
- Resource mailboxes, such as Meeting rooms or Equipment mailboxes, are now clearly identifiable by means of specific icons.
- A new search box in the Organization tree allows to quickly find recipients by name in the entire Exchange organization.
- It is now possible to navigate between Office 365 recipients and their on-premises counterparts using a new option in the context menu.
- Report options files created before the migration of mailboxes to Office 365 can now be used after that migration.
- A new Export tab allows to configure the SharePoint and SQL Database export destinations at application level.
- The Task Automation option has been thoroughly redesigned: it is now possible to manage both batch files and the related scheduled tasks from one single window.
- The Directory import usually performed prior to any message tracking file import is now optional if it has already been carried out less than 1 hour ago.
Interface and configuration
|Report displayed on screen
||Graphical report (pie chart)
||Graphical report (histogram)
||Bookmark reports options as favorites
|Server import options
||Purge data imports
||Schedule actions and reports
||Run multiple reports
|Configure messages tracking files import
||Importing messages tracking file
||Configure IIS log files import
||Configure storage size import
|Select report types
||Servers for traffic reports
||Servers for storage reports
||Server for Web Access reports
List of reports templates
This is the list of all report templates included in Promodag Reports version 10, sorted by category.
|Mailbox Storage Information||A report that provides detailed information, such as mailbox storage quotas and message size limits, storage size and item count, on the selected mailboxes.|
|Mailbox Breakdown by Size||A graphical report that displays a histogram of selected mailboxes broken down into intervals, either by size or by number of items.|
|Mailbox Size Growth||A graphical report that displays two histograms of the selected mailboxes growth based on item count and size during a given period.|
|Mailbox Size Fluctuation||A report that calculates the fluctuation in size and item count for the selected mailboxes between the extreme limits of a given period.|
|Public Folder Storage Information||A report that provides detailed storage information on selected public folders.|
|Public Folder Size Growth||A graphical report that displays two histograms of the selected public folders growth based on folder count, item count and item size during a given period.|
|Public Folder Replicas||A report designed to save disk space by listing all public folder replicas spread across multiple Exchange servers.|
|Database Size Growth||A graphical report that displays a histogram of the size growth for the selected databases during a given period.|
|Database Size Comparison||A graphical report that displays a pie chart that helps compare the sizes of Exchange databases side-by-side. The sizes used are averages based on the history of storage size data for that period.|
|Directory Objects||A report that lists directory objects in a hierarchical presentation.|
|Recipient Detail||A report that displays the directory attributes of each selected recipient.|
|Number of Recipients Grouped by Attributes||A report that counts mailboxes based on specific mailbox directory attributes.|
|Selected Attributes from Recipients||A report that enables the choice of specific attributes related to the selected recipients. Directory, traffic and storage attributes are available for each recipient.|
|Distribution Groups||A report that lists Exchange distribution groups and their members.|
|Recipients per SMTP Domain||A report that lists, counts and groups recipients based on the SMTP domain they belong to.|
|Mailbox Breakdown by Daily Traffic||A graphical report that displays a histogram showing the selected mailboxes broken down into intervals. Those intervals are based on the average count or size of the messages that mailboxes sent or received over a given period of time.|
|Message Breakdown by Day of the Week||A graphical report that displays a histogram showing the average count and size of messages per day of the week during a given period.|
|Message Breakdown by Hour of the Day||A graphical report that displays a histogram of the average message count and size per hour of the day during a given period.|
|Message Breakdown by Size||A graphical report that displays a histogram of messages sent or received by selected mailboxes, broken down by size, during a given period.|
|Message Breakdown by Recipient Count||A graphical report that displays a histogram of messages sent or received by selected mailboxes, broken down by recipient count, during a given period.|
|Distribution Group Usage||A report that shows the count and size of messages sent by internal users to distribution groups during a selected period.|
|Mail Contact Usage||A report that shows the count and size of messages sent to mail contacts during a selected period.|
|General Mailbox Content||A report that displays items contained in selected mailboxes. NB: Empty folders are not listed.|
|Mailbox Folder Size||A report that displays the count and size of items contained into the selected mailbox folders at different detail levels.|
|Permissions on Mailboxes||A report that views and filters mailboxes by permissions, e.g. ‘send as’, ‘full access’, ‘external account’.|
|Permissions on Mailbox Folders||A report that generates a list of permissions granted on folders of the selected mailboxes.|
|Message Attachments||A report that searches for attachments in selected mailboxes.|
|Message Response Times||Designed for call centers, this report measures agent response times and actions, e.g. Forward, Reply to sender, Reply to all.|
|Message Breakdown by Response Time||A graphical report that display a histogram of items contained in selected mailboxes, broken down by type of action - forward, reply to sender, reply to all - and response time. For a detailed view of items, use "Message Response Times". Note: the report only takes the last action performed on a message into account, for previous ones have not been recorded.|
|Item Breakdown by Folder||A graphical report that displays a histogram of the count and size of items contained in a selection of mailbox folders.|
|Item Breakdown by Size||A graphical report that displays a histogram of items contained in selected mailboxes and broken down by size.|
|Item Breakdown by Age||A graphical report that displays a histogram of items contained in selected mailboxes and broken down by age.|
|Mailbox Content Summary||A report that displays a synthetic overview of items contained in selected mailboxes and broken down by age. NB: Empty folders are also listed.|
|Inbox Rules||A report that extracts a list of all Inbox rules defined for selected mailboxes.|
|Appointment Search||A report that produces, from a selection of mailboxes, a detailed list of appointments created in Microsoft Outlook.|
|Mailbox Specific Content Estimation||A report that displays the size of specific folders and/or items based on user’s choice within the selected mailboxes beside their total size. It also shows the mailboxes global storage limit, and an alternative storage limit defined in relation to those specific folders and/or items.|
|PF Message Response Times||This report displays the number of messages contained in selected public folders, and distributes this total between 4 types of actions: Reply, Forward, No action, Not read.|
|General Public Folder Content||A report that displays items contained in selected public folders.|
|Public Folder Size||A report that generates a list of sub-folders and items stored in the selected public folders, and calculates their size.|
|Access Permissions to Public Folders||A report that generates a list of permissions granted on the selected public folders.|
|ActiveSync User Activity||A report that shows a list of ActiveSync requests during a given period. Several detail levels are available. Improved through the addition of used device types.|
|ActiveSync Device Breakdown||A report that analyzes mobile device usage by showing the distribution of devices that use ActiveSync.|
|ActiveSync Usage Growth||A graphical report that displays a histogram showing the daily count of distinct ActiveSync users during a given period.|
|ActiveSync User Breakdown by Day of the Week||A graphical report that displays a histogram showing the average count of distinct ActiveSync users for each day of the week during a given period.|
|ActiveSync User Breakdown by Hour of the Day||A graphical report that displays a histogram showing the average count of distinct ActiveSync users for each hour of the day during a given period.|
|OWA User Activity||A report that shows a list of OWA requests during a given period. Several detail levels are available.|
|OWA Usage Growth||A graphical report that displays a histogram showing the daily count of distinct OWA users during a given period.|
|OWA User Breakdown by Day of the Week||A graphical report that displays a histogram showing the average count of distinct OWA users for each day of the week during a given period.|
|OWA User Breakdown by Hour of the Day||A graphical report that displays a histogram showing the average count of distinct OWA users for each hour of the day during a given period.|
|Server Traffic Growth||A graphical report that displays a line chart or a histogram showing server traffic growth during a time frame. Some specific correspondent and recipient types can be selected.|
|Server Traffic Comparison by Correspondent||A graphical report that displays 4 pie charts showing the count and size of sent and received messages by address type for the selected servers on a given period. Some specific recipient types can be selected.|
|Traffic Between Servers||A report that displays the count and size of sent and received messages for the selected servers, by recipient type.|
|Correspondents by Traffic Level||A report that displays the count and size of sent and received messages by domain or administrative group for a given period.|
|Message Breakdown by Delivery Time||A graphical report that displays a histogram of transmission times broken down into duration intervals between two Exchange servers during a given period.|
|Message Delivery Status||A graphical report that produces two histograms showing the count and percentage of delivered and non-delivered messages.|
|Message Delivery Detail||An investigative report that displays a fully detailed list of messages exchanged within the Exchange organization during a given period and grouped by time delivery. The information provided includes MessageID.|
|SMTP Address Usage||A report that dynamically searches in message tracking files for e-mails whose sender or recipient address fields contain a particular e-mail address or domain name.|
|Non-Delivery Reports||A report that lists Non-Delivery Reports messages,or NDR.|
|SMTP Servers By Traffic Level||A graphical report that displays the count and size of incoming and outgoing messages for a given period. These servers may be external machines, or belong to the Exchange organization.|
|Connector Flow Growth||A graphical report that displays a line chart or a histogram showing connector flow growth during a time frame. Some specific recipient types can be selected.|
|Connector Flow by Type||A report that shows the count and size of outgoing and incoming messages for the selected connectors. Some specific recipient types can be selected.|
|Flow Between Servers||A report that displays the count and size of outgoing and incoming messages for the selected connectors by recipient type.|
|Flow Origin and Destination||A report that shows the connectors flow detail according to messages origin and destination.|
|Transiting Flow||A report that displays the flow of messages transiting through the selected servers but not intended to them.|
|Mailbox Traffic Cost Chargeback||A report that calculates traffic costs for selected mailboxes.|
|Mailbox Storage Cost Chargeback||A report that calculates a storage size cost for selected mailboxes.|
|Cost Allocation||A report that allows you to allocate a billed amount, either in percentage or in absolute value, for up to four cost center categories: mailbox count, sent message count, received message count, storage size used. Selected mailboxes may then be grouped by attribute so that each group is billed on a pro rata basis.|
This is the list of the main features classified by category and edition. The 45-day evaluation version's only limitation is that it can only report on a period of 15 consecutive days.
|Various graphical reports including histograms, 3-D charts, line charts, pie charts.||X||X||X|
|Mailbox traffic reports show in detail with whom your users are corresponding.||X||X||X|
|Mailboxes can be selected based on various Active Directory attributes (server, OU, department...).||X||X||X|
|Traffic and content reports drill down to the message level.||X||X||X|
|Traffic statistics reports produce graphs showing traffic breakdown by days, hours, size of messages or number of recipients.||X||X||X|
|Storage reports show you how your storage capacity is used and how it changes over time.||X||X||X|
|Mailbox content analysis reports reveal what users are storing in their mailbox, e.g. attachments.||X||X||X|
|Mailbox content reports include keyword search feature.||X||X||X|
|You can group items by age to point out what could be archived.||X||X||X|
|Public folders reports show a clear picture of who uses them, when and for what purpose.||X||X||X|
|Server traffic reports display the type of traffic processed by servers.||X||X||X|
|Reports on Outlook Web Access.||X||X||X|
|Reports on ActiveSync activity.||X||X||X|
|Reports on connector flow.||n/a1||X||X|
|Reports on replication traffic.||n/a1||X||X|
|Delivery reports help you measure your service level agreement by calculating internal message delivery time.||X||X||X|
|Billing reports allow chargeback based on mailbox storage size or message traffic.||X||X||X|
|Getting Started Wizard.||X||X||X|
|Report tree navigation with tooltip. Custom styles for reports.||X||X||X|
|Reports can be automatically exported to different formats: HTML, PDF, XLS, CSV, RTF, MHT.||X||X||X|
|Reports can be automatically sent by email.||X||X||X|
|Reports and notifications can be send with MAPI or SMTP.||X||X||X|
|Reports can be automatically published in a public folder, a Web site or to a SharePoint document library.||X||X||X|
|Data collection, report generation, export and publication may be automated and scheduled.||X||X||X|
|Individual mailbox reports can be automatically sent to the user or manager.||X||X||X|
|Report options can be saved for instant access using the Favorites menu.||X||X||X|
|Selections of mailboxes, servers, filters, partners can be saved separately and re-used in reports.||X||X||X|
|Reporting period can be restricted to specific days or business hours.||X||X||X|
|Time-zone specific reporting.||X||X||X|
|Daylight Saving Time is taken into account when importing tracking files.||X||X||X|
|Interface is available in English, German and French.||X||X||X|
|Reports can be generated in Spanish, Italian, Dutch and Portuguese.||X||X||X|
|The software can analyze more than 1 server.||n/a||X||X|
|The software can be installed on several workstations.||n/a||X||X|
|The software is licensed per analyzed server.||n/a||X||X|
|Import Exchange settings directly from Active Directory.||X||X||X|
|Send trace file by email.||X||X||X|
|Console activity history.||X||X||X|
|The account used to collect data can be impersonated.||X||X||X|
|Standard Windows scheduler for automation.||X||X||X|
|Works with all versions of Exchange Server including 2013.||X||X||X|
|Use native Exchange server data sources.||X||X||X|
|Low-impact log processing.||X||X||X|
|Compressed Log files after data processing.||X||X||X|
|Distributed log collection.||X||X||X|
|No IIS server needed.||X||X||X|
|Access database option (limited to 2 GB)2.||X||X||X|
|SQL Server database option (2012, 2008 R2, 2008, 2005).||n/a||n/a||X|
|Tracking of a virtually unlimited number of messages and IIS-related events in an SQL database.||n/a||n/a||X|
|Multiple databases support.||X||X||X|
|Can be installed on a workstation.||X||X||X|
|Implementation in Microsoft .Net.||X||X||X|
1 Standard edition is for one server organization so replication and connector reporting are not applicable.
2 Microsoft have set the maximum size of an Access database to 2 GB.
- A Core i3 Intel Processor with 4 GB of RAM or an equivalent Virtual Machine.
- Sufficient disk space to store the database.
- Windows Vista/Windows 2008 to Windows 10/ Windows 2012 R2 (32 or 64-bit).
- Messaging API (MAPI) client libraries included with:
- Microsoft Outlook 2007 to 2013 (32-bit version only);
- Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI client and CDO 1.2.1, unless you run Exchange 2013/2016. In that case, use a supported version of Outlook.
Optional SQL Server requirements for Enterprise edition
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2014 (32 or 64-bit). SQL Server Express may also be used.
Microsoft Exchange Server requirements
PROMODAG Reports supports Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 to Exchange Server 2016, as well as Office 365 (Exchange Online).
There is nothing to install on the Exchange Server, nor is there anything to change in the Exchange organization.
Promodag Reports must be installed on a workstation and not on a Microsoft Exchange server.
Promodag Reports is licensed for one Exchange organization, on a cost-effective per analyzed server basis or per Office 365 mailboxes. A license is established for at least one Exchange server or 1 Office 365 mailbox and one console (product installation).
As an example, if two administrators intend to use Promodag Reports on their workstations to analyze 10 Exchange servers, you will need a 10 servers and 2 consoles pack license.
Promodag Reports is available in 3 editions designed to meet the needs of different organizations, from a small enterprise with a single server to a global enterprise with multiple servers. See a complete list of features by edition.
Any one of these editions can be tested using the evaluation version, downloadable from this website. Once Promodag Reports is installed, you can choose to test a particular edition in the registration screen.
- Standard for single-server organizations using Microsoft Access database as the data repository.
- Professional for multi-server organizations using Microsoft Access database as the data repository.
- Enterprise for multi-server organizations. In this edition, the data repository is a Microsoft SQL Server database.
Note For organizations with more than 10 servers, we recommend using the Enterprise edition, since the size of an Access database is limited to 2 GB of data.
The initial Promodag Reports license comes with a one-year maintenance plan, which entitles you to free e-mail and phone technical support, updates and upgrades to new versions for 12 months. Thereafter ongoing maintenance including upgrades is subject to an annual maintenance fee.