Retrieve Office 365 message tracking logs with StoreLog 4
StoreLog v.4 is a freeware that imports the full content of Exchange message tracking logs from all versions of Exchange into an SQL or an Access database. It can also be used to retrieve message tracking files from Exchange Online (Office 365).
Just follow these simple steps to retrieve Message Tracking Log files from Office 365:
- Download StoreLog from our website, and install it.
- Launch the application.
- On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Office 365 tab.
- Enter the user name and password of an Office 365 user that has the Billing Admin or the Service Admin role on the organization.
- On the File menu, click New Database and create a new Access or SQL database.
- On the File menu, click Create Office 365 Message Tracking Files.
- Click OK to generate message tracking logs.
StoreLog will then query Office 365 and generate one log per day, covering a period of 7 days at the most. The default directory for generated Message Tracking Log files is %PUBLIC%\Documents\Promodag\Storelog\4\Office365MessageTracking\<Organization name> and the name format of these files is MSGTRKCyyyymmdd-1.log.
Message Tracking Log files contain the following fields:
- Received: Date and time when the message was received, in UTC time;
- SenderAddress: Sender's SMTP address;
- RecipientAddress: Recipient's SMTP address;
- Subject: Subject line of the message;
- Status: Message status (Delivered, Resolved...);
- ToIP: IP address of the recipient server;
- FromIP: IP address of the last server/router the message went through;
- Size: Message size in Bytes;
- MessageId: Unique ID of the message;
- MessageTraceId: Message Trace ID of the message.
Generating these log will give you different advantages. You will be able to archive them for further processing, for example to open them in a text editor to search for a particular subject or recipient. Another possibility is to import them using StoreLog in an Access or an SQL server database, and then use standard SQL queries to produce simple reports, or using the next major version of PROMODAG Reports, that will support Office 365.