Count automated emails sent through Exchange using SMTP Application Relay
You are trying to run a report to see the amount of automated emails sent by apps or devices using the SMTP protocol and relayed through your on-premise Exchange server. However, the Sender address is generally just an SMTP address your various systems use and is not tied to a mailbox. Which report or settings can you use to see how many emails sent through Exchange using SMTP Application Relay with the Sender address set to one of these addresses?
Promodag Reports only provides email traffic reports on Exchange recipients, i.e. any object in the directory that can send or receive messages from Exchange. Moreover, only messages sent through Outlook are collected by default.
Fortunately, these technical restrictions can be easily overcome in five steps:
- Step 1: Use Exchange Management Console or the New-Mailbox cmdlet to create a mailbox for each of those email addresses.
- Step 2: Run a full re-import of the directory in Promodag Reports and check that the new mailboxes have been discovered.
- Step 3: Modify the message tracking file import configuration in Promodag Reports.
- Locate your server in Promodag Reports organization tree;
- Double click on it;
- In the Message Tracking tab, select the "Non-Outlook client" checkbox.
- Step 4: Launch a Message Tracking file import on a past period. Promodag Reports will import missing events based on this new configuration.
- Step 5: You can now produce reports showing the traffic of these new mailboxes.
Try Promodag Reports Free for 45 Days